To apply: firstname.lastname@example.org
: The Surgical Technician is responsible for scrubbing on surgical cases in the operating room and assisting nursing staff in preparing the operating room for surgery.
: Director of Nursing
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Education and Experience
- Respond to direction from the practitioner and the nursing staff.
- Assist in preparing the OR for surgical cases.
- Scrub for cases as assigned.
- Gown and glove self and others.
- Drape patient.
- Maintain a sterile field.
- Perform appropriate counts with circulating nurse.
- Wash and sterilize instruments for surgical cases.
- Notify the Director of Nursing of supply needs, instruments that need repair and/or other problems with equipment or supplies.
- Record changes to surgeons’ preference cards.
- Terminally sterilize instruments and equipment, and documents same.
- Inspect and rotate sterile supplies.
- Clean and stock the OR as necessary.
- Use supplies in a cost effective manner.
- Respond to Center emergencies as appropriate.
- Participate in training of new OR personnel.
- Arrive for duty promptly.
- Exhibit a professional and courteous manner in dealing with all patients, practitioners, colleagues and visitors.
- Participate in Center committees as assigned.
- Adhere to Center policies, including, without limitation, those regarding HIPAA (patient privacy) and the Patient Safety Act.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of accredited surgical technician training program.
- Previous OR experience, preferably in an ambulatory setting.
Other Qualifications and Considerations
- Occasional need to lift heavy objects and assist in lifting patients; duties require twisting, reaching and pushing objects from light to heavy weights.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Potential exposure to disruptive or uncontrollable patients or visitors.
- Handle potentially dangerous materials.
- May have unanticipated need to work overtime.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Frequent need to stand/walk for long periods of time.